2020 is almost over! Since this year was anything but traditional, it’s only fair to do a month-by-month breakdown.
January: Oh to the days before COVID was a thing. January is my off season and is filled with welcoming new brides and catching up on website updates.
February: Also off season. Nothing exciting happened except it would have been nice to tell my past self that the world would shift suddenly in a month.
March: My wedding season was expected to start back up. I had one wedding scheduled at the end of the month and was able to capture three engagement sessions right before the world shut down. I was also looking forward to our cruise over Kyle’s spring break. Obviously the wedding and the cruise did not happen.
April: We were officially in lockdown, so I did a bunch of nothing. I discovered my love for video games though, so that’s something.
May: The world started to open back up. All my weddings were postponed, but I had three engagement sessions.
June: My wedding season officially began and I was super excited to finally be able to work again. I had two weddings and two engagement sessions. These weddings, however, didn’t look anything like normal. Guests were covered up by masks and I had to adjust to working in a mask. Spending 8 hours outside in the summer with a mask on is not my idea of fun.
July: Also a slow month, but I was able to work a bit. One of the best things that came out of COVID was I was able to book a few last minute elopements. I love large wedding days, but it was a nice change of pace to be able to photograph a few weddings with less than 10 guests. I had one full wedding, two elopements, one styled shoot, and two engagement sessions.
August: August actually started to feel like a real busy season. A lot of my Spring weddings rescheduled to August, giving me more than enough to do. I had three sessions and four weddings. One of the weddings had to be shot by an associate because I was already booked on the reschedule date, but they sure killed it!
September: Yay for a bit of normalcy. I had nine sessions and three weddings.
October: I had six weddings and six sessions.
November: My wedding seasons ends. I usually have a love-hate relationship with the end of wedding season. I’m excited for a much needed break, but sad to not have much work to do. This year, I had a similar feeling, but for different reasons. I was happy the season was ending, so I could not worry about picking something up at a wedding. All season long, I thought ‘ok I just need to get through November and then I can see people again and get sick if it’s meant to happen.” I was mainly sad about the season ending though because I have no idea what next year will bring. I have no idea if my 2021 weddings will reschedule or if COVID will still be a thing by next Fall. Thankfully, I made it through all wedding season without getting sick, so yay!
December: The month is still going. I have three more sessions before the year is up, but I’m so glad to have a chance to catch up on business work that I’ve been putting off all fall!
In case you didn’t want to read the full month-by-month breakdown, here are the highlights:
- Photographed 19 weddings this year. I originally booked 26, so this isn’t an awful amount but 25-30 is my sweet spot. My 2021 wedding goal is to take 25 weddings. I currently have 16 booked with 7 being reschedules. Usually I’m completely booked by this time. Hopefully there’ll be a few more bookings once the vaccine starts becoming readily available.
- Photographed 40 sessions this year. I pivoted to offer more mini sessions and family sessions, so that helped with the lack of weddings.
- Received 13 5-star reviews on The Knot and won Best of Weddings for the fourth year in a row! Because of this, I was also inducted into the Knot’s Hall of Fame.
- More than 70 couples inquired with me about booking 2020, 2021, and even 2022 weddings. I really wish I could work with everyone, but unfortunately there aren’t enough weekends in a year.
- In October, I completely redid my website. I’ve had the same website for a few years and it was definitely time for a change. My goal during the off season is to rewrite some copy that has been on my site since I opened it.
- Kyle officially joined my team to offer wedding videography! This service has been absolutely loved by so many past and current clients. We filmed 9 weddings and have 8 booked for next year so far.
- I added styled engagement sessions to my offerings! These are wonderful sessions where I partner with my favorite hair and makeup artist to beautify you before we start your session. I’m excited to start promoting these sessions more!
I think that’s enough bragging for one day. Even though this article was all about me, none of these accomplishments would have been possible without YOU. Thank you for reading my blog, visiting my website, wanting to work with me, and interacting with me on social media. Thank you for accepting me and making me feel worthy in this crazy world. I really truly mean this, I appreciate you so much!
BTW, I’m still booking 2021 and 2022 so be sure to reach out!
Keep scrolling to see all my favorite images from this year!
Share this story