It’s that time of year again when I look back at the past year and reminisce in the beautiful weddings. Even though I’ve been in business for 7 years, this one felt different. Maybe it was because 2021 was the busiest year ever or maybe it was because of a major mindset shift. I have always loved weddings and have always felt honored to be a part of so many special days, but after I photographed my last wedding of the year, I crashed. Not because I was exhausted, but because I couldn’t believe this was real life. I actually get paid to do this. This is my real job. For the first time in 7 years, this “hobby” felt real.
After the year was said and done, I had photographed 34 weddings (28 on my own, some of them were second shooting for friends, but they still count), created 20 wedding videos, completed 40 sessions, and organized 8 styled shoots. I’m not going to count how many images I delivered this year, but I would guess it was more than 100,000.
If you like things better in bullet form, here are some of my 2021 highlights:
- Photographed 25 of my own weddings and 3 standalone wedding videos. I try to keep it around 25, which was good, but it didn’t help that 75% of my season took place September-November. Out of the 25 weddings, 17 also had videography. That was a bit much for Kyle to handle, especially during the school year, so we are limiting it in the future. For 2022, we currently have 28 weddings booked, still with 17 videos. In 2023, I think we are going to cap videography at around 10 per year to not overwork this poor husband of mine.
- Photographed 40 sessions, most of which engagement sessions for 2021 and 2022 couples, but I also did quite a few other sessions. I don’t advertise it, but I do occasionally do maternity sessions or family sessions for past couples.
- Received 15 5-star reviews on The Knot and won Best of Weddings for the fifth year in a row!
- I received 192 inquiries for 2021, 2022, and 2023 weddings!!! Woah. That’s seriously insane. Unfortunately I can’t personally work with everyone, which leads me to my next point….
- I’m expanding! I’m in the process of making more of a formal announcement once all my team members are fully trained, but I’m adding a couple associate photographers. They have all been trained by me directly so you will get the same experience, but at more budget friendly prices.
- I also hired a social media manager since Instagram is the bane of my existence. I am not a social media person at all, so I’m so excited to have someone else do the heavy lifting for me. She started a couple weeks ago and has been doing amazing!
To say 2021 was my biggest year ever would be an understatement. I’m so excited to see the growth and really transform my business in 2022 from being a solopreneur to a full fledged company with employees and everything! Stay tuned for more exciting announcements within the year!
Keep scrolling to see some of my favorite photos I created this year!
Share this story